Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Four Heavenly Kings and Malaysia’s brain drain

Weather: Cloudy

Temperature: 35°


When I was studying in Hin Hua High School, Klang, there were 4 heavenly kings 四大天王 in my class: Bom, Lantat, Pinchang and me.

We share the same height (around 178 cm) with Pinchang slightly taller (180cm). We sat together in class. We were active in sport. We were also the noisiest in class. Since we had so many things in common and were so close, we called ourselves “the Four Heavenly Kings”.

After high school, the four kings chose different path: Bom studied Accountancy and become a qualified Accountant; Lantat studied engineering and become an engineer; Pinchang studied architecture and become a qualified architect; and as for me, I turned out to be a lawyer.

Yesterday while on our way to the artificial beach, Lantat suddenly said, “you know what? The four heavenly kings in our class, 3 kings are now in Shanghai! Better call Pinchang to join us here.”

That’s true. Bom (whom I am staying with now) is working as an accountant while Lantat works for a construction company, both in Shanghai. While I do not have a confirmed employment in Shanghai yet, I have decided to leave Malaysia. Only Pinchang is not in Shanghai now.

If you think the consolation is Pinchang staying put in Malaysia, you are wrong. Pinchang is currently working as an architect in Perth, Australia.

Conclusion: none of the kings wants to work in Malaysia, our own country.

All the kings are professionals. I am sure Malaysia can use their talents. I am sure too they can contribute significantly towards our nation building. But no, they found greener pastures and have no desire of coming back. “Going back for vacation can lar…” said Bom.

On my last day in court, I had this opportunity to meet our opposition leader, YB Lim Kit Siang. I told him I was going to China soon. He was not impressed. “If young generation like you want to leave Malaysia, who is going to fight for this country and who are we fighting for? 不要当逃兵 (don't be a quitter)” YB Lim said. I told YB, I had heard more than once our ministers or MPs shouted in Parliament: “you tak suka you balik lar!” (if you don’t like it you can go back). Honestly, deep down inside my feeling was badly hurt. If our leaders openly tell us to go back, where should we go? What does “going back” mean? Isn’t Malaysia my home? No, at least not in the eyes of certain leaders.


"不要当逃兵" YB Lim Kit Siang said.


The four heavenly kings are just a tip of the iceberg. More Malaysians choose to embrace other countries every year. According to Bom, there are 200 Malaysians working in KPMG Shanghai. I am not sure whether the government notices this or is doing something about it.

I remembered what the Raja Muda of Perak Raja Nazrin Shah once said and I quote:

“All Malaysians, regardless of race and religion, have a place in this nation, and society must recognise that they share a common home and responsibility to build the nation together.”

“Malaysians of all races, religions, and geographic locations need to believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have a place under the Malaysian sun.”

“Only when each citizen believes he or she has a common home and is working towards a common destiny, will he or she make the sacrifices needed for the long haul.”

Do you believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have a place under the Malaysian sun?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Toh

Glad to hear that you're having a great time there. Out of topic abit but I've dwnloaded the Menghitung Hari song. Really nice. Listening to it everyday.

Jia Thiam

11 July 2007 at 23:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironically yesterday I met up with one of our high school friend. She was studying in Australia and I persuaded her to start her career there after graduation. *sigh...

Timmy

12 July 2007 at 09:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will Shanghai spare a place for ppl like me in 5 yrs time?

12 July 2007 at 16:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you have the chances to leave M'sia for career advancement, don't hesitate to do it. Malaysia a.k.a "Tanah Melayu" applicable only for Malays. Not for Chinese.

17 July 2007 at 10:31  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter