Thursday, September 20, 2007

Adidas Shoes

Temperature: 22 c
Weather: Rain



Last Sunday out of the blue Engtee received a sms from a company informing her to go for an interview on Monday morning at 10.30am. Earlier, Engtee has sent her cover letter and CV to this company through a job hunting website to apply for the posts of account executive and internal audit officer.

However, Engtee was not thrilled. She was not excited at all. Instead of thinking that she might finally get a job, she saw it as the possible end of her jobless life which she rather enjoys at the moment.

Engtee’s Sunday was entirely spoilt after seeing the sms. It was supposed to be a great Sunday because we were going to 七浦路 which is something like our Petaling Street where cheap clothing, handbags, underwear, socks, shoes are sold. “Yeoh… I don’t want to start work so soon!” she complained. “I have not enjoyed enough!”

Once we were home, I checked the company which sent the sms to Engtee using the internet. It was an insurance company. After reading the company profiles, I had my reservation about this company, nevertheless I encouraged Engtee to go for the interview. “What the heck! It is not like you are very busy. So go and have fun. Maybe you will learn something from the interview.” I persuaded her.

So the next morning Engtee reluctantly put on make-up and went for the interview. As always I went to my office to start my grueling works.

Once I returned from office, Engtee shared with me about her interview in the morning. It confirmed my fear. The insurance company was actually recruiting insurance agents. They advertised in various websites that they are recruiting account personnel or whatever posts, but their real motive is to recruit insurance agents.

Which is good too because they provide training for Engtee. Free training. In order to get the agent license, Engtee has to go through their 3 days course with a examination on the final day. I thought that was great! Engtee could learn something about insurance. Better than hiding in this small apartment doing nothing other than waiting for the husband to come home right?

With that, Engtee went through the 3 days course. Today was her examination and you know what? She passed! Ok, one more thing to add to her resume now: Qualified Insurance Agent in Mainland China. But, like everything else in China, nothing is free. She was asked to bring RMB160 to pay for her registration fees. Neh! No no no! Of course she won’t pay. Good try though. This is probably the work of a con artist in Shanghai. Engtee told me that the CEO of this company which claimed to have millions in its investments is only 25 years old. Come on man! This is stretching it too far!

But the main thing I want to blog about today has nothing to do with being conned in Shanghai. It is about a story Engtee learned from the training which I find it very interesting and worth to be reproduced here below:-

2 friends were walking in a jungle when a ferocious and hungry tiger suddenly appeared and charged towards them. Of course both of them ran for their life.

After running for awhile, one guy stopped, opened his bag, took out his adidas shoes and wore it. The other guy was puzzled and said, “Oh what’s the point? Even with the adidas shoes, you still can’t run faster than the tiger!”

“Yes I know. But I only need to run faster than YOU!” he replied.

Well, this is what competition is all about: you are either number one or vanished into the stomach of a hungry tiger.

p/s:-

Bro Stevo, with or without my blog, the situation in Malaysia is still the same. Using the same analogy, not only Malaysia is not running fast enough to be number one, it is running towards the direction of the tiger! If Papa is asked to record a police statement because of this blog, I am sure he will say: “you expect my son to write good things about Malaysia? Then I will not be able to read his article everyday! Further, this blog is not about Malaysia, it’s about China, you know how to read or not?!”

Wow! Now I have No. 1 fan in down south of the Earth. Thanks Alex and Shindy for your supports. I hope everything is fine in Australia.

Papa, how could I neglect you? You set this blog as your default homepage. Basically you are logging into this blog every time you turn on your computer! But that’s considered cheating in contending for the world no. 1 title. Sorry.






Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our country is running towards the wrong direction, this is what i realised long time ago, just didn't expect one day you'll agree, but i'm sure glad you do.
Well, maybe i am overthinking, but just a reminder, be subtle and write smart.
And to all the tohinchina blog fans out there,
I read this blog while i drive to work in the morning! Because i own an iphone and LA's traffic is the worst in US. BEAT THAT!

luv ya, bro. n' pa, ma, sin and yiann.. (i dun know whether u read this)

Keep up the good sh*t.

20 September 2007 at 03:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think Engtee is better to spend hertime in TZU CHI. If she really enjoys herself there then what"s the hurry in getting a job which pay u only RM1,000.00 You will get alot more in TC though not in term of money.
Steven, I certainly can read you. Pls. leave a few lines so that I know u r o.k. there. I m not good in dealing with computer so forgive me for not writing more often to u. This is the easiest way to talk to all of u by leaving comment here.Right?
mum. with luv to all my kids abroad.

20 September 2007 at 07:44  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter