Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Pig Culling Effect

Temperature: 23c
Weather: Thunder Storm



My friend Ah Heng, whose family is involved in pig farming, once told me that when they slaughter pigs in the morning (why must it be in the morning? I am sure it has nothing to do with “halal” thingy), they would normally bring 5 to 6 adult pigs into the “Butcher Chamber”. There they would place 1 pig on the “chopping block” and then stab its neck to collect fresh blood. Once the stabbed pig became unconscious and motionless (due to lack of blood or whatever) and thus could be easily handled, they would start cutting the pig into pieces and parts (and this may take place while the pig is still alive!).

I asked Ah Heng a stupid question: did the pig make any noise or struggle when you did all these to it? Of course it did. It squawked, squealed, kicked and struggled horribly with the pointless hope of freeing itself.

“但这些都是无谓的挣扎,因为它越是挣扎,血就流得越快,也死得更快” Ah Heng said.

Ah Heng further added, not only did the pig which was on the chopping block make noise and struggle, its “comrades” (i.e. the other pigs which were also inside the Butcher Chamber waiting for their turn to receive the “treatment”) would feel the fear and struggle, squawk, and make horrifying noise too! “They knew they will be killed. They just knew it.”

I call this the “Pig Culling Effect” or PCE.

I must apologize for telling this pig slaughtering story in front of my readers the majority of whom are Bak Kut Teh lovers. But, let’s be frank, how many of you, when enjoying your delicious and aromatic Bak Kut Teh, will think of those poor pigs lining up in front of the Butcher Chamber waiting for its turn to be chopped into 排骨,五花肉,小骨,脚腕etc? Ok, may be I have digressed too far, please forgive me.

Now, back to this “Pig Culling Effect” or PCE. Where else can you see PCE? In the battlefield for instance. Imagine you and your teammates were engaging massive offensive attacks to capture enemy’s base. You were inside a small military boat which ferried you and your teammates to the enemy’s base. Upon reaching enemy’s shore, you saw your teammates getting down from the boat one by one and one by one they were blasted off by enemy’s heavy weapons. PCE would instantly set in and you would automatically feel the fear of the “other pigs in the Butcher Chamber”.

PCE could also be experienced in a less violent but equally hostile environment, for example, in an office. You saw your colleague sitting next to you received a call from the boss’s secretary saying “Boss wants to see you now.” Then your colleague’s face turned pale and expressionless. He slowly got up and walked into the boss’s room as if he was receiving his HIV test result. Once he was inside the boss’s room, the only thing you could hear was the boss’s shouting, screaming and banging against table. You saw a healthy young man walked into the room, but a roasted piglet 乳猪 walked out minutes later. Suddenly you got PCE: today is his day, tomorrow might be yours.

To all working class who had this PCE before, please sing along with me:-

“我地呢班打工仔!一生一世为钱币啊做奴隶!个种辛苦折堕讲出吓鬼, (死俾你睇)。。。”


p/s:-

Chew, it’s good to see your comment here. I did not use the word “sucks”, it was used by a third party, I just referred to it.

Bro Stevo! You are indeed my no. 1 fan in the whole North America region. I guess only mom could compete with you for the World No. 1 title.

Mom, I was just enjoying my well deserved weekend without having to face computer monitor (except watching pirated DVDs). So now I know this blog has another function, i.e. to keep my mother busy and happy. 母命难违, I will see what I can do. Regarding the statistic I produced, well, I was not free enough to make that up. I got it from the internet. Mom, to discuss about China comprehensively, sometimes we do need to talk about more serious stuffs like statistics and data. We just cannot go on and on talking about how your son fools around in China, where he bought DVD, whether he got enough sleep or things like that, can we?

I am about to experience the first typhoon of my life. Typhoon Wipha will hit Shanghai for 3 consecutive days starting from today. I had better get myself a good quality umbrella because the one I am using now (which costs only RMB10) will definitely transform into barbeque sticks once the typhoon hits.

I must admit I am quite thrilled by this impending typhoon. Natural disaster in Malaysia is almost non-existent. The disasters we have back home are usually man-made for example, landslides due to over development and poor planning, buying a set of “cheaplak” screwdrivers at more than RM200, being detained for 6 months just for failure to produce IC, being shot by police while attending political assemblies, leaking in parliament building even though we have just spent millions to renovate and upgrade it, sending an astronaut to space to prove Malaysia’s “boleh-hood” when a monkey had already accomplished such mission 50 years ago etc…

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are writing in a pretty crazy rate, the readers are spoiled..hehe..
but nevertheless, another easy reading yet powerful entry.
and you watch out what you say about our beloved motherland, if this blog ever caught fire and get real hot later, papa might be asked to say sorry in the TV by u-know-who.

19 September 2007 at 04:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"roasted piglet" is much better than " sotong goreng" anytime

:)

have a nice day

19 September 2007 at 13:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

papa and I read all ofyour blog .U never mentioned the old man, he is yr. fans too. I think he will not eat (Bah Ku Teh) for a long time after reading yr. stuff.
Be careful of the typhoon, u r not suppose to get sickin foreign country.Take good care of yrself. Steven and Sin too.

19 September 2007 at 17:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi..dont forget us! we are your no.1 fan from Down Under. Basically we read your blog once we get out of bed every morning. GO GO GO !! FIghting!!!

19 September 2007 at 18:01  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter