Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Don't look back Keep on walking

Temperature: 22 c
Weather: Fair


“Don’t look back just keep on walking”

That was what my mother said in the comment. I was actually planning to write about something else but when I logged into my mailbox and saw my mother’s comment, I decided to write about “looking back”.

I walked home from office just now listening to 张韶涵’s 隐形的翅膀 (thanks dad for buying me this walkman phone, it makes the walk pleasant. Just 4 songs and I have reached my home).

While walking, I subconsciously recalled back the things that happened back home. I saw my Rotaractors enjoying themselves in club meeting. I saw my fellow lawyers having tea in the court canteen. I saw myself having lunch with Eric and client. I saw my parents visiting me in Klang. I saw my younger brother playing basketball…

Maybe it’s the song. Or is it the cold wind? I am not sure.

I was not being myself. I normally could think quite clearly and rationally. I think I was behaving quite emotionally because leafs are falling and the trees are balding. They told me it will turn grey before you know it. What a depressing scene it will be then. Not a great time to get homesick.

There are many Malaysians in Shanghai. Few days ago I was having dinner with 9 Malaysians. All young professionals searching for something (I am not gong to deal with the issue of brain drain here; namewee has mentioned that in his Negarakuku). I bet all got a story to tell. All has a reason to leave Malaysia. But is everyone’s reason the same?

I have “ang mo” colleagues too. They are from US, UK and Australia. I asked one why he is here in China. (You know when you ask a Malaysian why he left Malaysia, you normally will add “Malaysia not good meh?” But for “ang mo” you definitely won’t ask “Why you here in China? America not good meh?” interesting right?) He said he was fascinated by Chinese culture especially its martial art, wu shu. He went to Shaolin temple last year and stayed there for 2 days to learn some skills from the monks. That’s his reason for being here. Not for the money, not because America is not good, just because he wants to learn more about and experience Chinese culture.

Well, am I here for the same reason as his? Emm... let’s see.

My grandparents were born here; his were not. My home country is Malaysia; his is not. My home country has NEP that protects the majority against the minority; his home country has policy that protects the minority, the weak and the poor against the majority, the strong and the rich. My home country has suddenly transformed into an Islamic State; his home country allows gay marriage. My home country is known as the “Boleh land”; his country is the land of the free, home of the brave.

So, how could our reasons for coming to China be the same?

Don’t worry mom. I will keep on walking.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Son,
Don't ever let yr.emotion affected by the envirment.Let the leaves fall until the trees bald, who cares, after winter when spring comes they will grow again. Be happy and let the whole world smile with you. Don't feel homesick. Not worth.this country make u feel /////.
Bye. from mum.

5 September 2007 at 11:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey i just realised, you missed me while looking back.. i must have lost somewhere back there, don't even know where.. But hopefully, i will show up again, somewhere in the front.

You'll be fine, hey, at least mum is reading your blog. She probably didn't know i have a blog..

5 September 2007 at 15:01  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter