Monday, September 03, 2007

First day at work

Temperature: 21 c
Weather: Light Rain


I had not been working for the past 2 months. When you are jobless but do not worry about money, the feeling was too great. However, the 2 jobless months came to an end this morning. I was working today. My first day in my new office.

Well, I know some of you are really interested to know how my work was today. Some even sent email to ask about it. Thanks for your concern. I am touched.

However, to your disappointment, I will not write anything about my work in this blog. I am old enough to understand that blogging about work is automatic career suicide.

Thus, this is what I want to say about today’s work:

I am spoilt by my ex-boss. I am spoilt by my ex-colleagues. I am spoilt by my ex-clients. I am spoilt by Klang. Conclusion: I am spoilt.

I was never a corporate animal. Filling time sheets, hanging a tag around the neck etc were never my concerns. But they are now.

So, severe culture shock was inevitable. Just like sending a Polar Bear to the Sahara Desert or throwing monkeys into the sea. Both will not live long.

Fortunately I am not Polar Bear or monkey. I am a spoilt child who is now sent to Montfort Boy School. It’s time to get disciplined. It’s time to see the real world.

In a way I felt lucky I made the decision to come to China. If wasn’t for that decision, I might still be living in my own world, fantasizing I was doing good, earning ‘decent’ income and all that. Now I painfully realize what I thought was a ‘decent income’ was not even enough to pay my rental and utilities bills in China. “Malaysia Boleh” was meant to be heard by Malaysians only. The world has moved so fast and far ahead of us and I was still happily driving my 5 year old Proton Wira, going home at 6.00pm every day.

Summer has gone. The autumn winds are blowing into my apartment now. Though it cools down the air, it nevertheless brings a taste of depression. Not before long, the leafs shall drop and the trees turn grey. I will be walking alone in the busy streets. Streets filled with busy but soulless people.

I will survive, don’t worry. I know I will cry, I will scream, I will regret, I will question my decision, I will doubt myself, I will get depressed, but in the end, I will walk through hell and emerge a winner.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we fighter ain't we?

4 September 2007 at 04:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the corporate zoo, Toh. :)

Timmy

4 September 2007 at 10:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harnniann, all the best to you. I am sure you will emerge as a winner.

H

4 September 2007 at 10:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Son.
We had come back from Klang. Papa was happy tosee little bro. getting on well.Hope that everything will be fine for both of u over there.Don;t look back, just keepon walking.I know u can.
From mum.
With love.

4 September 2007 at 10:39  
Blogger Feldman said...

Wow Toh, I'm impressed your mum knows how to leave comment! Good luck to you and I am so sure you'll do great there, no doubt! Nevertheless we'll alwiz be there to support you ya?

Cheers!
Feld

4 September 2007 at 11:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quite touched to see Yi Ma's comment. me and ah how went to terengganu and yi ma yi zang gave us a treat. wonderful. we miss her so much.

anyway i will be going to london tomorrow.

all the best ! in shang hai.

9 September 2007 at 10:37  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter