Friday, September 28, 2007

上海的月亮 大马的倒影

Temperature: 25c
Weather: Clear

Mid Autumn Festival 中秋节 has just quietly passed by. If not because of the 2 boxes of mooncakes I received from the office, I would not realize mid autumn festival had arrived.

This could not be true. After all I am now living in a country with 1.3 billions of Chinese who are supposed to celebrate mid-autumn and needless to say mid-autumn festival originated from this land!But where had the atmosphere of mid-autumn gone?

I remember when I was younger (I am still young, so I intentionally use the word “younger”), mid-autumn was a big thing in Kuala Terengganu. Despite its insignificant Chinese population, there were organizations busy organizing various exciting activities like tang-lung march, tang-lung contest, riddles, cultural performance etc. Of course mooncakes and "pig biscuits" were things that could not be missed.

Damn! Mid-autumn was such a big thing in Malaysia that a local boy group even made a song called 月亮圆 specially dedicated for this festival.

Mid-autumn is a public holiday for Hong Kong. But their holiday is on the 16th day of the Lunar calendar because they want to spend their night in a family reunion while appreciating the 15th day moon and do not need to work the next morning. I was in Hong Kong on the 15th day. My Hong Kong colleagues were discussing their plans to celebrate mid-autumn: some suggested shopping with husband, some suggested having a big and expensive dinner, bottom line: all had plans to do something in the name of mid-autumn.

Well, very unfortunate for Mainland China, mid-autumn is not a holiday. It is business as usual. The spirit of mid-autumn here has been reduced to selling and giving expensive mooncakes in beautifully decorated boxes. Where is the lantern? Where is the family gathering?

月圆人团圆, the Chinese says. "But if there is no holiday, how am I going to reunite with my family?" my Chinese colleague complained during dinner.

I can see the big bright moon from the window of my office, the same moon that is shining on my family now wherever they are. When you are thousand miles away from your home, the following verses by 苏东波 become very meaningful:-

人有悲欢离合,月有阴晴圆缺,此事古难全!

但愿人长久,千里共婵娟。


Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

son,
feeling better after talking to u, knowing yr situation is not that bad as we imagined. Anyway i m sure u r strong enough to take the pressure .We had a wondwerful mooncake festival in K.T. spending with hundredsof local people in Hokkien Association . After the riddles games,they had dancing until 11.30p.m.As usual I came home early when thry started dancing as yr. dad didn't invite me to the floor. He came back at mid nite, after clearing the mess then that nite we talked until 2.00a.m. becos' the party is so sucessful and it was organised by yr dad.
Try to rest more ,you will get used to this type of life. Chinses people are welknown of their hardworking. What I worried is yr. health.I had given this responsibility to yr. wife,make sure she take good care of u.
Mum.

28 September 2007 at 07:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papa is so good with the dancing party.. dang, i missed it again. Its been a year huh? Time flies ~ I had only one moon cake, but i can't complain i guess, miss all of you.

28 September 2007 at 12:54  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter