Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Kuala Terengganu will be a city?!

Weather: Cloudy
Temperature: 11 c
I must be too busy for the past few weeks until this news slipped from my radar, or maybe my informants in Malaysia might have thought that this is not important enough to alert me.

To my readers who know little about me, though I always talked about Klang, I originally came from Kuala Terengganu (KT) – the land of turtles (though not many left, even the fake turtle on the roundabout near Ladang has been mercilessly removed).

This morning as I was going through my daily routine of browsing Malaysian news before I start my work, I spotted this incredible news: RM10 millions will be spent for the declaration of KT as a city. The reason for me to choose the word “incredible” is 2 fold: (i) KT will be made a city; and (ii) RM10 million will be spent for the celebration.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am actually happy for KT. It’s just that I find it hard to believe that KT will be a city! The last time I checked, KT was still in the same state and condition as it was 15 years ago. I am really confused about what has improved since then.

Allow me to summarily audit KT based on whatever I have in mind right now. Ok, let’s start with the general hospital (GH). The structure of KT’s GH is the same as Klang’s TAR Hospital (I won’t be surprised if they used the same blueprint to build the hospitals). It was there ever since I remember anything about KT. Did any new hospital being built lately? Not that I know of, but I stand to be corrected. Anyway, I think Klang definitely has more hospitals than KT (taking into account the private hospitals).

Now, let’s talk about public transport. One thing I love about KT which neither KL nor Klang could offer: no traffic jam. Further, KT has airport. I was told by my dad recently that KT has just built a brand new airport called “Magnificent White Elephant”. That makes KT somehow “more advanced” than other towns/cities in the west coast. Why does KT need a new and big airport is beyond my comprehension. How many planes that take off or land in KT a day? Don’t be surprised but I think there may be more planes in Kandahar airport, Afghanistan. There are cities without airport, take Petaling Jaya for instance. Klang doesn’t have airport either, but Klang has commuter train which KT doesn’t have. Of course, KT has another thing which Klang doesn’t have: trishaw.

What about entertainment? When I was studying in primary school, there were cinemas in KT and the ticket price was only RM1 to RM2. Now, there is NO cinema in KT, not even one. There used to be some night clubs in KT but I was too young to patronize them then. Unfortunately, before I am old enough to pay them a visit, they were all closed down. I am not sure what the people of KT expect their young adults to do during their leisure. Do they seriously expect the young and energetic ones to go jogging and fishing everyday? I am not a fan of Karaoke or nightclubs, but let’s be honest, I would wish to occasionally spend some time doing something stupid and unproductive too. That’s what young people do! It is not surprising that KT is unable to keep its young people. Many young Anak Terengganu have left KT to seek greener pasture else where. The people in KT are aging to the extent that I was told that some associations were not able to continue with their youth wing: there is no young member! But somehow, KT will be a city soon.

Please don’t get me wrong. I am proud of KT. Regardless of where I will be in the future, KT will always have a special place in my heart. Which team do you think I supported when Selangor played against Terengganu in Piala Malaysia final? The answer is Terengganu no doubt.

But loving KT is one thing, declaring and accepting that KT is a city is another. If KT is a city, why Penang is not? This is another supporting proof that Malaysia will be a developed nation in 2020.

Another supporting proof that Malaysia is really “boleh” and there is “hope” in this country is that RM10 m has been budgeted for the declaration and celebration. I know there will be fire works, there will be “tarian tradisional”, there will be kompang, there will be “kenduri”. Let’s not kid ourselves. After the glorified celebration, the people in KT must still get back to the reality.

I can call myself Clint Eastwood, but instead of Dirty Harry, people could only see me as a Cina pek. Think about it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter