Sunday, April 13, 2008

A super weekend

Weather: Fair
Temperature: 15 c


This weekend was a super weekend for me. I wanted to write about my fantastic weekend until I read about one sad and disappointing news on the website (I will deal with it later).

In the course of my work, I did a lot of agreements for companies which host various types of event, including concerts. Not to say that I know much about contract drafting or my contract law was good; in fact, I seldom prepared any form of contract in Malaysia. Only when a contract (which was prepared by other lawyer) went wrong, then only was I involved in the following litigation between the contracting parties. But in China, the majority of my job scope involves contract drafting. Well, you do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how a contract works; most of the time, it is just common sense.

Hard work does pay. Last week, I was offered 2 tickets to Celine Dion’s Shanghai Concert, free of charge. The organizer is our client and we assisted them to prepare various legal documents for that concert. As a goodwill gesture, they gave us 6 complimentary tickets and I got 2 out of the 6. The seats were not bad.

Last Friday, Engtee and I enjoyed a free concert, again. It was our second concert in Shanghai. It always feels good to go to a concert, and it feels even better if you do not need to pay for it. However, I must admit that I am not a fan of Celine Dion. Further, we rushed to the stadium straight from our office on Friday evening, without dinner. We were therefore tired and hungry throughout the concert.

Anyway, the whole event was worth it when Celine Dion sang “My Heart Will Go On”. It was superb!

The next day (Saturday) was our office outdoor outing. I was the organizer. It was an unprecedented outing because my company has not done that before. My colleagues are serious and dedicated workers and you do know how hard the Chinese works. They can spend 8 hours straight in front of their computers without stretching their bodies; they can come into the office at 9 am and leave at 3 am the next day, then come back again at 9 am. But, going to a park to have fun? That’s way beyond their imagination, something unthinkable.


Here is where I want to thank Rotary and Rotaract Club. It seemed like I have not forgotten all the trainings I got from Rotaract.

I sensed that the firm will work better and more efficiently if all the colleagues could work as a team. But, before you create a team, you must first create a strong bond between the members. How do you create such bonds? Rotary/Rotaract teaches you the best.


In Rotaract, I learned how to make a group of strangers into a team. More than that, I learned how to make people believe that it is necessary and in their interests to work as a team. Once I successfully did that, getting them together to do 1 activity would be so easy.

I sold to my colleagues the idea of organizing a team building exercise in one of the parks in Shanghai. Shanghai has so many beautiful and well-maintained parks, why not enjoy it? I then volunteered to be the organizing chairman. I told them I only wanted them to believe in me, that we really needed this outdoor activity. Further, this activity will be fun and exciting!

In Rotaract, we have organized so many events and projects, from a simple birthday party to hosting foreigners from another country. Therefore, organizing this outdoor activity was like a walk in the park. With all the trainings I have, it was really easy.

The hardest part is how to sell the idea to your target. Why do they need to wake up so early on a Saturday and sacrifice their precious sleep to be at a park? Initially, I have to answer that question repeatedly and personally. However, once my core group was formed, I have someone else to do the marketing for me. I learned that trick from Rotaract.

It was a great outing. We did some stupid and childish games, including “eagle catches chicks”. But who cared about what game we played? The whole idea is getting people together and strengthening bonds; the “games” or “other activities” are like a carrot hanging in front of a donkey – it is just a means to an end, not the end itself. Yes, I also learned that from Rotaract.

I am in a good mood now, so I do not feel like whacking my home country to spoil my day. Click here to read about the news I said earlier. If you don’t feel like reading it, the headline below will tell you the whole story. G bless Malaysia.

Tengku Faris: Non-Malays should not seek equality”



.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It happens that I met an old fren of mine yesterday for drinking, he said :" well after the election, we can hope for a better Msia, so are those people who thinking of leaving the country will put the decision on hold?"

I replied "well, not so soon, it takes time, question is do we have such patient to wait?"

My point is very simple, irregardless what's the equalities will turn out to be, people dont care but more looking into solution and planning for their own future, why? Because EVEN IF WE HAVE REACH THE EQUALIY TODAY WE STILL HAVE TO CLOCK IN TO WORK TOMORROW. ~

harley

14 April 2008 at 14:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left my DC t-shirt at your place!!! Now i can confirmed it...you wore it to the concert right?

Wake up early n go to a park on a sat morning.. you nerds r helpless...lol but glad you had fun anyways.. take care, bro

15 April 2008 at 00:09  
Blogger Shindy said...

You have so much fun there, plus the FREE tickets! so happy for you :)
take care & hope to see you soon...

15 April 2008 at 07:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes bro Steve,

That was your t-shirt, but it is mine now :)

15 April 2008 at 09:51  
Blogger Feldman said...

Bro, it is so true that Rotaract has groomed us in that sense. I believe most of our members, if not all YET, can organize some event without much trouble. Maybe we can start up a event management company, part time? :)

Good to hear you're having fun there! Take care!

Feld

16 April 2008 at 13:39  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter