Monday, March 10, 2008

A new Malaysia

Weather: Fair
Temperature: 19 c

Wow! It was indeed a super weekend for me and all Malaysians.

Personally, my birthday celebration was simple but meaningful: Engtee managed to come back from Suzhou just in time to celebrate my birthday and my good buddies Bom and Ryan threw in a party for me. My firm, based on the firm’s policies, bought everyone Starbuck’s coffee to celebrate my birthday.

However, it was you, Malaysians, who gave me the best birthday gift I could ask for: a day to be remembered in Malaysian’s political history. 8 March 2008 will forever be talked about and written in Malaysia’s history.

Thanks for making my wishes come true. BN has finally lost its 2/3 majority in the parliament. From now on, our Federal Constitution can not be simply conteng like what BN has done for the last 50 years. More than 600 amendments have been made to our Federal Constitution, with our rights being eroded by each amendment. Finally, enough is enough. We now have 80 plus opposition MPs sitting in parliament guarding our Constitution. It will be fantastic and interesting to watch the coming parliament debate. With elites like P Ramasamy, Tony Pua, Lim Guan Eng, Jeff Ooi, Wee Choo Keong, Sivarasa, Charles Santiago etc being sent into the parliament, the BN MPs would really need to think twice before pulling another stunt like the “bocor incident”. The BN MPs must realize that they will be facing a team of ferocious lions and tigers, who had waited the chance to go for their blood for years.

This election also witnessed, to the satisfaction of all Malaysians, the fall of a few “leaders”. Based on the level of satisfaction, I have ranked them below according to my own preference:

Most satisfied: Samy Vellu – The down side is there will not be anymore jokes about him like “jangan hisap dada”. Sammy, after cleaning up your office in the Ministry of Works, on your way back, please do not forget to pay tolls. Ok?

Very satisfied: Ling Hee Leong – Lee Chong Wei, now you understand why campaigning for Ling Hee Leong is not a national service?

Satisfied: Former Minister of Misinformation, Zam Zam - Earlier you had wanted your opponent to lose his deposit, but it turned out that you lost your seat instead! Next time, when you are interviewed by international media in English, please make sure you pronounce correctly: Malaysia does not have “erection” every 5 years!

More interestingly, 5 states are now jointly in the hands of DAP, PKR and PAS. I will therefore quit referring them as “opposition” for they will be the ruling parties in these 5 states. It is the BN which will be the opposition. Please quickly adapt to such switch of position. From now on, I will refer them collectively as “Barisan Rakyat”. Though officially there is no such coalition called “Barisan Rakyat”, I find no other alternative to refer to them.

This result is definitely better than what I have expected. I thought Barisan Rakyat will capture Perlis and Terengganu too, but since we will now have Selangor and Perak, who wants Perlis and Terengganu? Remember, according to the standards set by “previous” (oh, I love to use this word) BN administration, Selangor is a developed state. Barisan Rakyat is controlling a “developed state”! Can you imagine that, say, 1 week ago?

I had the same feeling I experienced when Terengganu fell in 1999. It was a mixed feeling: excitement and doubt and fear. I had doubt (just for a few seconds) whether we have done the right thing. But I am very convinced that whatever the outcome will be, Malaysians have made the right move – the right move towards better and healthier democracy. The most significant effect of this general election is that it made people starting to believe that it is possible to remove BN government and that BN is just like any government in the world - it is fallible. On a personal note, I am quite happy that Selangor is now under Barisan Rakyat, at least from now on, we will not see the obscene signs saying “Satu lagi projek kerajaan BN” anymore. Further, I have a message for Zakaria: be prepared, I am sure the new government will go for your neck to make an example for everyone. (Update: I just learned about Zakaria's demise. May he rest in peace.)

Having said the above, I must put a caveat here. Barisan Rakyat, you have made a lot of promises to the people during the campaign. You are now in power, so that you have no more excuse not to deliver your promises. The role is now switched: you are under the spotlight while your enemies are everywhere in the dark. You will be monitored and scrutinized for every move you make. You advocated for transparency, good governance and justice. You promised fight against corruption and bringing back local council election. Well, let’s see if you will be able to live up to the end of your bargain.

Where do we go from here? I am sure once you have hit the rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

For a better Malaysia – Makkal Sakthi! Makkal Sathi! Makkal Sakthi!


I didn't know then I was taking photo with the future Chief Minister of Penang

.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Feldman said...

Bro, indeed it is good news for all of us! But have to agree with you, now that Barisan Rakyat is on the spotlight, they have better deliver, else they will leave millions in disappointment. The people have voiced for a change, so it better be good.

Being in control of Klang Valley is something noone have imagined, but it was the talk of the town that most people are going against BN. From this election I have also learnt that the people are voting against BN, and not the rep in particular. I hope those newbies like Mr Loh Gwo Burne will catch up soon. :)

11 March 2008 at 13:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget one of the fallen BN leaders, Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon. By how he handles and reacts to his party's defeat in this election is the most gentlemen and responsible way. Earn my praise and should be an good example to all the policticians (Sammy I hope you are reading this).

Timmy

12 March 2008 at 09:14  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter