Friday, March 07, 2008

Women's Day, General Election and Birthday

Weather: Fair

Temperature: 11 c

When you read this article, you have less than 48 hours to prepare my birthday present. Yes, 8th of March is my birthday and this 8th of March will be my 28th birthday. What they said was true: as we get older, we become less excited about our birthday. Well, at least it is true for me. I just couldn’t help but wonder how fast time travels. When I was sent to Hin Hua High School, my father stood beside me at the hotel’s corridor and told me that he could not believe I was already old enough to come to Klang. That year, I was only 13, but it feels like it just happened yesterday.

On the 8th of March, besides celebrating my birthday, all the ladies in the world will also be celebrating Women’s Day. In Malaysia, we don’t really give a damn about Women’s Day, but in China, Women’s Day is a statutory holiday for all women: they get half day off. Unfortunately, this year, the ladies will get none, because Women’s Day falls on weekend. What a shame.

In China, the government really did a good job in promoting gender equality. Maybe that is because the women here are tougher. You can see female bus drivers, taxi drivers, construction works etc. I just can’t imagine what would be the consequences if some brainless idiot were to shout in the People’s Congress that “women bocor tiap tiap bulan”. He will certainly be slaughtered by the nation before he could walk out of that room. But in Malaysia, it’s ok lar. Some of our MPs could even go to the extent of saying “if you can’t avoid being raped, just lie down and enjoy it.”

This year, 8th of March will also be a very important date for all Malaysians: Malaysians will be going to the polling stations to decide who will form the next government. Emm… This statement may not be 100% accurate as we all already knew who will form the next government, the question is thus: how many opposition members will be sent by the people into the parliament.

I have been following this 12th General Election very closely. I read the online news, blogs and watch ceramah posted in youtube almost everyday. Hundreds of ceramah are being organized each day. I regret that I am not able to participate in any of them. It would be exciting listening to the opposition bombarding the BN with tons and tons of accusations and jokes, while shouting “Makkal Sakti!” (People’s Power). These past few days, if you were in Malaysia but decided to stay at home watching Astro instead, you did not know what you have missed. Phenomenon like that does not happen in every election. In 2004, I was in Klang, but the election heat was not really felt. This time, the wind of change is blowing, and is blowing really strongly.

I have already registered as a voter and I am very proud to announce that it was Fong Po Kuan, the Chili Padi, who helped me to fill up the form. I heard rumors that I will be able to vote in Shanghai if I go to the Malaysian embassy here to register. I was reluctant to register at the Malaysian embassy because, honestly, I do not trust them. How do they guarantee that my vote, which I have put a cross next to a rocket, moon or mata, will not be “changed” to a dacing vote? My concern was proven not to be baseless. Days ago, I read from the blog that someone related his experience that he registered as a voter at the Malaysian embassy but when it was time to cast his vote, the officer at the embassy told him that his has already voted – someone has voted on his behalf. Therefore, I would rather let the opposition lose my vote than risk my vote being given to BN.

On the 8th of March, I will be celebrating my birthday. Therefore, I am entitled to have my birthday wish. I will list down below what I want for my birthday gift, and you can help me get it.

Birthday wish # 1: BN loses its 2/3 majority in Parliament;

Birthday wish # 2: Kelantan, Terengganu, Kedah, Perlis and Penang fall into the hands of opposition (or BN is denied 2/3 majority in the state assembly in these states);

Birthday wish # 3: If none of the above is materialized, I hope all Malaysians realize what they have done to themselves. The people should have the government they deserve.

When I read the news on the 9th of March, will I get my birthday gift? You decide.





P/S: I am very happy that my friend Teng Chang Khim, who is running for Sungai Pinang State Assembly Seat, seems to be doing well. All the best!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to u.
What ashame yr wife cannot celebrate yr birthday with u.Anyway hope you will get yr. three birthday presents on 9thMarch.
Love u mum.

7 March 2008 at 05:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fong Po Kuan also helped me fill up the form!!

I wish your wishes came true as well.

"the government should fear the people" - V for Vendetta / ur blog.

7 March 2008 at 13:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday.

Most of ur wishes came true. Indeed, People's Power.

rosie

10 March 2008 at 07:56  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter