Monday, July 16, 2007

Cost of Accommodation in Shanghai

Weather: Fog

Temperature: 32°


My mission for today is to research on the cost of accomodation in Shanghai. I've heard many people telling me it's expensive to live in Shanghai. But how expensive actually? I decided to find the answer myself.

Opposite Bom's apartment is a stretch of shoplots which house at least half a dozen of property agencies. My plan is to go there and check out properties prices.

If you are not a fan of apartment (condo) please don't come to Shanghai. I have yet to see link houses or semi-Ds or bungalows in Shanghai. Land here is too limited and expensive for you to occupy alone without building something tall and large on it.

So we are dealing with apartments. If you have enough cash in your pockets and decided to invest or speculate in Shanghai properties, this is what you are looking at. Since there are too many properties in Shanghai, I will only give example on just one. It's called Da An Garden: a residential area within walking distance from Bom's apartment. It is above average apartments, but NOT the most high-end apartments.

Check out the price list:-

Room/Livingroom/Bathroom *Space (m2) **Value (RMB)

1/1/1 *70.29 **1.25 million

1/2/1 *65.86 **1.45 million

2/2/1 *87.11 **1.68 million

3/2/2 *131 **2.35 million

4/2/2 *206 **4.20 million


Ok, I don't intend to purchase property in Shanghai yet, I just need to rent a comfortable place to live in. So how much is the rental in Shanghai? Using back Da An Garden as example, this is the information I got:-

Room/Livingroom/Bathroom *Space (m2) **Rental/Month (RMB)

1/1/1 *62 **3,500
2/2/1 *106 **4,600
3/2/2 *137 **5,800


In another words, if I were to rent the cheapest apartment in Da An Garden (1/1/1), it costs me nearly Malaysian Ringgit 1,610.00 a month! If let say I need another room just in case I have visitors or my siblings are staying with me or I need it for study, then I would have to rent a 2/2/1 apartment and I would pay nearly my one month salary in Malaysia just for accomodation.

Accomodation in Shanghai is expensive? You bet.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shanghainese ppl rich? otherwise how they can affort so expensive accomodation?

Most of them are living in the low cost accomodation or average apartments? what is the ratio?

17 July 2007 at 08:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the accomodation in SHA is still cheap, those who can't afford need to stay outskirt. I think the most expensive is still Hong Kong, abt 10 times higher than SHA.

Harley

17 July 2007 at 10:20  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter