Thursday, July 19, 2007

My First Interview

Weather: Fair
temperature: 39°


Today is Thursday 19th July 2007. The time now is 8.00 am. Another 3 hours and I will be walking into interview room. Whatever is going to happen in that interview room, is very likely to have great impact on my destiny.

I have a strange feeling right now. Whatever I am going through now is so unreal. A couple of months ago, I was still discussing with my former boss Eric on the new remuneration package in Eric Yap & Associates. We were contemplating long term employment there. Not so long ago, I signed up Y-Fitness Klang and committed to one year membership. I was not going anywhere, at least I thought.

But things happen at light speed. And I did not plan too much. I just follow what life offers me and grab whatever opportunity that comes along the way.

I was given a choice: I could either continue with the things I was doing then in Klang, or I could prepare my resume, sent it out to hundreds of legal firms in China and see whether there is any positive reply. The idea was like shooting blindly into a big tree and see whether any bird falls dead. Yes, this time I managed to shoot down 3 dead birds. But whether I could eventually cook and eat them still remain to be seen.

On one evening while I was sitting in a room together with the partners of my former firm, I unexpectedly told the partners : I am going to China. "When? How? What you going to do there?" the partners asked. I was sure they were not taking me seriously.

I told them I was not sure when or how am I going to China or even what am I going to do in China. To be honest, I didn't even know why I am going to China! But that was my sudden turn. I assured them it was not a impulsive decision. I had thought about it for some time just that I did not have the courage to act on it. The partners were the best employers you could find in town. They were selfless. They did not talk me out of that idea, instead they let me decide what was best for me and they would respect my decision. With that, I resigned even without my wife knowing. I guess I shocked everyone that day. But the one I shocked most was myself.

Now I have been in Shanghai for nearly 2 weeks, I am slowly getting the answer why I made that decision that day.

Actually one need not be in Shanghai to understand the reason of my departure. I read this from the Star online on 16-7-2007 and it firmed up my desire to stay in China:-

"Tan Sri Muhyiddin said the non-Malay leaders had failed to explain to their respective communities the necessity of having and supporting the NEP, the New Straits Times reported yesterday.

'It is a collective policy that was agreed upon by the Cabinet to address economic disparities within the country's different communities and its aim is to unify,' said Tan Sri Muhyiddin, who accused the non-Malay leaders of fearing that they would lose votes if they support the NEP.

However, he acknowledged that there have been instances when non-deserving Malays received benefits over more capable ones, the NST reported.

But Tan Sri Muhyiddin said the NEP, which was introduced in 1970, must continue.

'Malay economic power is still weak compared to that of other communities,' he said."

Globalization is a very real and cruel process. Yet, back home, we still get to read news of this sort.

I do not want to spoil my mood discussing this type of heart breaking issues on my first day interview. I will stop here.

Well, it's time to take a morning shower! It's for good luck : )

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, niann..
Wish you all the best here. Interview started at 11am, rite? i think should be over.

Waiting for your good news then.

19 July 2007 at 11:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the Best!

rosie

19 July 2007 at 17:26  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter