Saturday, November 17, 2007

Linkin Park Live in Shanghai

Weather: Rain
Temperature: 12 c

Whenever someone asks me why I prefer Shanghai over Beijing, my official standard answer is: because I find Shanghai energetic and full of life.

Why so? When you walk in the streets of Shanghai, if you pay attention, you would feel the energy of this vibrant city: it is dancing, it is moving, it is breathing, and it is “rock and roll”. It is hard for me to describe the feeling with my limited English vocabulary, but I am sure, if you are here and looking at the right direction, you will feel it too.

This city is full of excitements (KL is not bad too, with the recent Bersih rally; but for those who were caught in the massive traffic jam, I am not sure they should curse the Bersih organizers or the police). Not long ago, Shanghai has just successfully hosted the Special Olympic and not too long before that, the Women World Cup, and not too long before that, Shanghai Tourism Festival.

Now, have you begun to feel the energy? In Malaysia, I remember I had to wait for a very long time for my idol to hold a concert. Here, concerts after concerts have been lined up until the end of the year. Next week, Jay Chou is coming, then Jacky Cheung, then Zhang Hui Mei etc. This Sunday (Nov 18th) Linkin Park is coming!

I am listening to Linkin Park now as I am writing this article. Their music is not too heavy metal or too sissy. It’s beautifully mixed with a bit of anger, freedom, and defiance: suit my current mood perfectly. I have watched Linkin Park concert DVD, they are awesome! They play live music so pro that you would think that you are actually listening to their CD. I said to myself, next time they come to Malaysia (oh, I missed their first one), I would definitely go, at all cost.

Few weeks ago, my Angmo colleague and I accidentally spotted an advertisement about Linkin Park Live Concert in Shanghai. We said, “this is it! Go!” He is a fan of Linkin Park too. We were so pumped up. I called the ticket center to book for the tickets (without first checking the price). I was informed that the cheapest tickets (RMB200) have been completely sold out, the second cheapest (RMB400) is still available. At that moment, reality hit my consciousness, I realized I would have to pay RMB800 (for Engtee too) to go to Linkin Park concert. Shit. I have been thinking about buying a good quality guitar for months, and the guitar costs around RMB1,000. Now, am I going to spend RMB800 for a concert? I know I said Linkin Park was awesome and I vowed to go to their concert, but RMB800 could be used in better ways. I was in a dilemma.

I discussed this problem with my Angmo colleague. He told me he won’t be going if I am not going, any way, he will respect my decision. I told him I will give him the answer before close of business that day. And at 6.00pm, I told him it was a “no go”. Gosh, I hated myself. Why didn’t I have the insanity to do something crazy and stupid once? Because I was never insane. The only time I was insane was when I walked to the room of my former boss Eric and told him I was going to China.

So, although we really love the music of Linkin Park, we love RMB 800 more. We have to kiss the concert goodbye and put it behind us and move on. By the way, do you know how much was the most expensive ticket for Linkin Park? RMB1,800. I will only pay that kind of money for a 2 hour concert if they are singing with a group of naked ladies on stage.

Yesterday, I was asked to review and comment on an Entertainment Contract for a Taiwanese singer (trust me, he/she is very famous in Malaysia). Once I have prepared my opinion and suggestion, the partner asked me to translate the whole contract into English and the deadline is 12 midnight. What?!! Why I always got the shit? Oh, that’s because I am the only bi-lingual in Shanghai office. My Friday night was completely ruined.

Once I have translated the thing and send back to the partner, I wrote in the cover email:

“I still don’t know why it must be translated into English, as I am sure **** can read Chinese, he/she sings Chinese songs! I want compensation: free tickets to his/her concert.”

To which, the partner replied:

“Sorry but thanks for the hard work. I don’t think I am able to get you the tickets for **** concert. However, the client has offered tickets to Linkin Park Concert, but I have turned it down as I assume no one in the Shanghai office would want to go. Thanks.”

I almost went crazy when I read that email. I checked the advertisement again, oh why didn’t I realize: the organizer of Linkin Park concert is our client! I dashed to the partner’s room (I don’t remember knocking the door) immediately and asked her whether there is any chance she could ask the client to offer the tickets to Linkin Park concert again? The partner kindly said she will try to call the client, but no promise. Oh Gosh! If I know Linkin Park tickets had just dropped from heaven, but no one saw it fit to pick it up, I would definitely run like Forrest Gump across the city of Shanghai.

5 minutes later, the partner walked to my room and showed me 4 fingers: 4 free tickets. I remember I screamed in delight (it was already about 10pm, so it’s ok to act a little bit crazy), I even said I loved her so much.

My Angmo colleague was in cloud 9 too. I can’t tell you how happy we were. Ok, 4 tickets, who will be going? My colleagues were kind enough to offer me 2 tickets so that I could bring Engtee along. The other 2 tickets went to the Angmo and a Chinese colleague.

Now, you understand why I am listening to Linkin Park now, it is a prelude to tomorrow’s big event. My first open and live concert in Shanghai, and it is F.O.C., courtesy of a good client. I will certainly take a lot of pictures and blog it here in due course.

Remember, when God gives you shit, it means that the good stuffs are on its way.


Office outing to Suzhou 苏州 to taste the hairy crabs


.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TAHNIAH Harniann!

17 November 2007 at 14:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like that the positiveness bro.. eventho i still dun believe in God but i believe when shit goes down, good things are not far behind.

19 November 2007 at 16:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shanghai will host the biggest event of the century coming 2010, world EXPO, held every 5 years. 2005 was in Aichi Japan, when i was there.

Harley

20 November 2007 at 15:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r v lucky son. so happy with yr.
good luck.

20 November 2007 at 17:44  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter