Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Loneliest Night in Shanghai

Weather: Cloudy
Temperature: 10 c

I was woken up at 8am this morning despite having earned my right to sleep till 10am (I was on duty until almost 1am yesterday so I am allowed to come into office at 11am). Engtee was already dressed in office attire with a travel bag (loaned from Bom) on her hand. Oh, how could I forget: Engtee was going to Nanjing for audit or the Chinese here would say 到南京出差.

I walked her to the door and said good bye. I studied her as she walked to the lift. Not too long ago, this was what she has dreamed of: a laptop on her hand, an executive suit, and a ticket to outstation. She always admired those working ladies who could wear elegantly with high heels and laptop while traveling places for business. She longed for such an opportunity. I remember when our group D.B.D.F (Dreams, Bonds, Directions, Fellowship) was having one session called “building our dreams” i.e. cutting photos from newspaper and paste them on a piece of papers to show our dreams, Engtee cut and pasted a picture of a woman sitting on business class with a laptop on her lap. Now, without realizing it, she is living one of her many dreams.

About 25 minutes after she left the apartment, I received a call from her. It was a distress call: she could not get a taxi! I had no idea how I could help her, so I asked her calm down as there will be taxi soon. Luckily, against all odds, she finally got to the train station on time. She said she will write a blog about this morning adventure. So, stay tuned.

Tonight, will be my first night in Shanghai sleeping like a bachelor. Though I have been living a bachelor’s life for a major part of my life, it is different for me tonight: when I go home later, there will be no one there waiting for me, tomorrow there will be no warm breakfast waiting for me. When you have lived with someone for some time, your lifestyle changes without you knowing it.

Tomorrow I will be going to Beijing for a business trip. I heard Beijing is quite cold now. Since Engtee is not around, I will have to pack the luggage myself. Gosh! I hope I know where we keep the cash and the passport!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)
So now you know how precious is ET huh?!?
I heard Beijing is cold as well, so grab more warm clothes and enjoy!
btw, when will she be back?

7 November 2007 at 08:56  
Blogger genee's garden said...

Jia You Eng Tee!

Chang Sow Chuan's wife... always read your hubby blog, was very touching for your love letter to him!

12 November 2007 at 16:57  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter