Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Good Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen...

Weather: Rain
Temperature: 28 c

The Justice Department will be organizing a bilingual speech competition some time end of this month. The competition is targeted at the legal firms with the aim of encouraging the use of English language.

I was approached by my office manager few weeks ago. The Justice Department wanted a bilingual speaker to be on the panel of judges, and asked our firm to provide one. My office manager immediately thought of me. I happily accepted the challenge without hesitation. Later, when the Justice Department found out that I could play guitar (I do not know where they got this information), they insisted that I perform a few songs. This, I also happily accepted. Anyway, I was looking for a small stage for me to satisfy my itchy backside of performing on stage. The opportunity just materialized.

To show the sincerity of the Justice Department, last Friday, 3 officials came to my office to pay me a visit. They called it a 礼貌拜会 (or a polite visit). I was there alone in the meeting room, faced with 3 Chinese officials. They asked me what made me wanted to work in Shanghai, and I fluently told them 10 things I love about China. I noticed that they wanted to be polite and said something good about Malaysia too, but unfortunately, they knew nothing about Malaysia apparently. One younger official tried, “光良的歌很好听”.

Today, I was invited to the Justice Department office to join a preliminary “screening process”. The Justice Department received 15 application forms so far but they do not have time for 15 contestants. So, they organize this “screening process” to filter out those which are obviously “hopeless”. I have the honor of selecting the right candidates for the contest. This is something which I have never done before – I doubt I will have this opportunity in Malaysia.

I heard 15 contestants delivering their speeches in Chinese and English. I made (or pretended to make) notes about their performance. After all the 15 gave their speeches, I was invited to give some comments (or 指教指教). What do I know about giving speech? I am not a good orator. But since this is China, and everything is possible in China, I have to say something (and say it professionally). I guess the officials and the 15 contestants were very impressed with my comments. After I finished my 3 minutes of bull-shitting, the Justice Department 主任 even told everyone: 这就是专业. I was speechless. Maybe I was good, or maybe what a professional does is bull-shitting. I don’t know.

The speech competition will take place on the 27th of June. I will be one of the judges, and performers too. I did not expect all these when I came to Shanghai. This is literally putting my talents (whatever they may be) into good use. Ooh, I love Shanghai!

Harnniann, the idea is not to pocket the ball; but to pretend you know how to pocket it!


.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you, Nian!!

11 June 2008 at 08:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toh I hope the contestants and the Chinese organizers are not reading this blog entry. :)

Timmy

11 June 2008 at 09:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope they won't be reading this. I never promote my blog in China. So, I guess it is safe for now... haha!

11 June 2008 at 10:40  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter