Monday, July 14, 2008

Missing the court days

Weather: Fair
Temperature: 32 c


It was a very hot weekend. So I stayed at home most of the time, trying to avoid the merciless sun. While at home, I watched the American series “Boston Legal: Season 2” which was downloaded and forwarded to me by my colleague. I used up half of my Sunday watching up to episode 6 before Engtee and I decided to go for apartment-shopping (no, we are not buying an apartment; our current lease will expire soon, so we need to look for a new apartment to move into).

“Boston Legal” reminded me of my legal practice in Malaysia. When I was in Klang, I had no idea what kind of case was coming my way. This morning I may see a client with marital problem, and in the evening I may have client with problems evicting his tenant. If I was unable to resolve the matter amicably, then a summons had to be filed in court. Oh, I miss going to court.

For the avoidance of doubt, I never liked court paper work. Yes, there are many documents involved in a civil litigation. First, you need to draft a statement of claim, then after the serving the summons, you need to prepare an affidavit of service. If the defendant enters defence, you will need to prepare a reply, and thereafter numerous bundles of documents and witness’s statements. The paper work was definitely not the fun part.

However, I loved going to court (especially if I was well prepared and knew I was going for a kill). I don’t know why but my Malay suddenly became better whenever I spoke in court. Maybe it was the adrenalin. And I loved listening to my own voice in court.

I had my bad days in court too. Once, I had a sure-win case, which I had no idea how to lose. But as they said, anything could happen in a trial. I was having a good time with that case; I was well prepared and had enough supporting case law to throw my opponent counsel out of the court room. But just when I thought everything went as planned, my opponent did something which shocked both the judge and me. He pulled out a Koran and kissed the holy book in front of the judge. He said whatever he had said was the truth. The judge was a Muslim too. I don’t have to tell you what the judgment was. Yes, I lost that case. Maybe 1 day, I will write more about this case. Injustice was done to my client. When I left Malaysia, this case was still undergoing appeal process.

Having said the above, I still miss my court days. When will I go to the Malaysian court again? Not so sure…


p/s: I was listening to this song the whole Sunday. Hope you like it.


My last day in Court (photos taken by Engtee)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger pennychai said...

李香兰?hahahaha

Come back if you miss here so much, otherwise you will miss a lot more in life.

17 July 2008 at 10:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,

Nice to see you here. Thanks for dropping by.

Going back to malaysia now? Emmm... for vacation, ok lar...

17 July 2008 at 13:55  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter