Monday, October 15, 2007

秋天来了 冬天还会远吗?

Temperature: 17 c
Weather: Cloudy


Yes, the autumn is here.

Ever since Typhoon Krosa hit Shanghai about a week ago, the temperature has declined steadily. Tonight, the temperature drops to 17 c and the cool wind is blowing into my room like when you open the window in Genting Hotel.

I am so used to wearing my “standard uniform” in Shanghai. Those of you who disapprove my sense of fashion, let me tell you this: I have none. I wear what I wore in Malaysia (because I have not started shopping on clothing yet, all my clothes in my wardrobe are brought from home). However, as a slight consolation, I dress better in office. I use perfume and I have G2000. My hair is better groomed with Gatsby hair gel (wet look & extra hard).

I went out this evening to buy “mee hoon” at the grocery store nearby. I forgot that the weather has changed, it is no longer summer. I nearly went out with only my singlet and short Apek pants. If I did, I would have died half way. When the freezing wind blows into my lung, I really have tough time breathing.

Mind you, this is just the beginning of the autumn. And it is nothing compared to the imminent winter. I came to Shanghai more than 2 years ago with my family during the Chinese New Year. It was spring then. Though it was spring and supposed to be comfortable, I could not stand the chilly temperature. I remember all my family member had to wear long john, and a few layers of clothes. On top of that, gloves and hats were also necessary. It was that cold.

Now, I do not need to switch on the air-cond. Just imagine, more than 1 month ago, when Engtee and I moved into this apartment, we had to turn on the air-cond every night, because the air was too humid and hot. I may need to turn on the air-cond later, not to get cold air, but hot air. That’s why in China the air-cond is called 空调 and not 冷气. It makes more sense. The air-cond in Malaysia only blow cold air (who in the right mind will buy an air-cond that blows hot air in Malaysia?). Here, the air-cond has dual functions. It suits both summer and winter.

Lastly before I sign off, I would like to talk about what I did yesterday.

Since the winter is coming and we have to get some proper warm clothing. Bom and I went to a mall filled with tailors. He wanted to buy a blazer and I wanted something like a “Mark 哥捞” i.e. a blazer but it is longer to the knee level, I don’t know what it is called in English.

Yes, we wanted to buy tailor-made blazer. Of course there are ready made ones but we prefer to treat ourselves better. You think we are wasting our money? Listen carefully, a tailor-made winter blazer made of cashmere (more superior and lighter than wool) with slacks only costs RM250. And if you are good negotiator and have extra time, you may get a better price. Try and see whether you can get that bargain in Malaysia.

I chose one that looks like Neo in Matrix. I hope you know which one I am talking about. The one Neo wore when he acrobatically dodged bullets. I always wanted to have one. Now with RMB 600, my dream is almost realized. I am getting the blazer next Sunday. If it really turns out to be like Neo’s, I will take some photos and post them here.

Ok, time to sleep. To Muslim who reads this blog, Selamat Hari Raya, Maaf Zahir Batin.





.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Toh!This is the 1st time i logged onto your blog. Must say i'm impressed!Well, good to know you & missus are doing pretty cool things & seem to be settling down well.All the best & keep going buddy! Cheers, Joy

15 October 2007 at 15:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try to get those clip-on sunglasses when you take the pic. And wear them to a halloween party coming in two weeks, i am sure there must be some going on, if you look. Then Eng Tee need to buy some black spandex and get a hair-cut like Trinity. HOhohoho..

16 October 2007 at 02:01  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter