Friday, October 12, 2007

First Malaysian in space

Temperature: 20 c
Weather: Cloudy

On 10th October 2007, (by the way, 10th October is the “National Day” of Taiwan) first Malaysian “astronaut” (I used this word reluctantly because I still think he is just another space tourist like the earlier filthy rich American who paid USD20 million to go into space. However, Malaysian government insisted that he is not mere passenger but a researcher who will conduct a series of space experiments with his Russian counterparts, so I have to change my thought and think that he is a real astronaut, after all, our government can’t be wrong right?) was blasted into the space. The Malaysian Islamic authority even came up with “How to be a good Muslim in space” guidelines.

I didn’t really follow this news. I just noticed it on the 10th when I browsed through some Malaysian news websites (it is strange that even though I am in China, I seldom read news about China but spend more time knowing Malaysian news. Not only me, other Malaysians here did the same too. Patriotism? I guess not).

When I read that the whole Malaysia was partying over this “successful” space project, I really doubted the accuracy of that report. I am not sure about you, but when I saw the spaceship blasting into space, I didn’t see a Malaysian going into space: I saw tons of good money being burnt into ashes. Of course, our government said no money was paid to the Russians as this is part of the arms deal with the Russian. Ok, am I going to believe that the Russians will send a Malaysian up into space FOC? Not when I know that even eating Char Kuey Tiao at the roadside costs you around RM4.00. Free space trip? Fat chance!

Ok, back to every Malaysians partying over this space thingy. I couldn’t really comment much since I was not in Malaysia at that time, but I am sure Malaysians were already too burdened to celebrate about it: the Lingam Tape fiasco and the absolute silence by the parties involved, the imminent toll hike and the ever increasing cost of living etc.

Talking about being proud because now Malaysian have been into space, (after all the main spirit of this whole space project was to boost the morale and confidence of Malaysian youths), I asked my Chinese colleagues about 杨利伟 (the first Chinese astronaut sent into space in a Chinese spaceship launched in China using Chinese technology, as opposed to the first Malaysian “astronaut” sent into space in a Russian spaceship launched in Russia using Russian technology). What were their feelings when Yang safely returned to Earth after spending hours in space? They said they were proud and 激动. One even said her father actually cried when he saw Yang displaying China and UN flag in space before the camera. The whole China went crazy about this successful project.

China is the 3rd country which has the technology and facilities to send human beings into space, after Russia and USA. Though China only managed to send her own astronaut into space almost 50 years after Russians had done so, it must nevertheless still be considered a great achievement.

Sorry, but I do not share the same sentiments as my Chinese colleagues over this first Malaysian astronaut. I just hope he will safely return to Earth and if the government decides to send the second one into space, they will first use the good money to eradicate problems like squatters, upgrading public facilities, increasing teachers’ salaries etc.

大闸蟹 (Part 2)

Mom, I read your comment about me eating the crab’s yoke. I will seriously consider your suggestion that I vegetarian for a day to wash out my sin.

To further kill your appetite of eating hairy crabs here in China, let me say something here which I have learned from my Chinese friends.

According to them, the hairy crabs are bound tightly (yes, if you go to the market or Carrefour here, you will see that most hairy crab are tied so they can’t move. Unlike in Malaysia where they only bind the crabs’ claws so they are harmless but could still move freely, here the crabs are completely bound) because the crabs will lose weight if they move too much. Just imagine, being bound alive and put on ice while waiting for your chance to be steamed.

When they steam the crabs, the crabs are put into a pot while still alive (I told you before). You can hear the sound of the crabs crawling desperately to get out of the hot pot. After a while, these crabs will not make any noise anymore.

I asked the Chinese friend if they find it very cruel to animal, their reply was: if the Japanese can do that to Chinese during World War 2, why can’t we do that to crabs?

No comment.

.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SON
I FELT SO SAD OVER YR. CHINESE FRIEND'S COMMENT. DO U AGREE WITH WHAT HE SAD. I HOPE NOT. DID U WASH AWAY YR SIN BY EATING NO MEAT ? WE HAD NO FEELING OVER THE MAN WHO IS NOW IN SPACE. THEY SAID MILLIONS WAS SPENT BY G TO SEND HIM UP THERE. U CAN READ ABOUT IT THRU" NET.ANYWAY THE YOUNG MAN IS HANDSOME THAT IS THE ONLY THING I PAID ATTENTION TO,HE LOOKS LIKE YOUNG CHOW YUEN FATT.
NICE TALKING TO U THIS EVENING THOUGH IT'S A BIG EXPENSIVE. NEXT TIME U MUST CALL INSTEAD OF WE.O.K?
bYE.

MUM

12 October 2007 at 23:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know you still pay attention to handsome guy! But Chow Yuen Fatt type isn't the In look anymore, mum.

I heard China is sending someone to the moon pretty soon, Zhang Er Yi Hao, they named the shuttle.. so corny, isn't she supposed to be there before the US and Russian? haha.. But i'd be pretty darn proud.

14 October 2007 at 03:15  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter