Tuesday, October 02, 2007

National Day

Temperature: 28c
Weather: Cloudy



Yesterday was the National Day of People’s Republic of China (PRC). It was on the 1st day of October 1949, Chairman Mao stood on Tiananmen before thousands of roaring crowd, proudly declared the formation of PRC. Some of you may have seen the historic black and white picture of Mao standing in front of a very classic old fashion microphone, reading the proclamation of PRC. I remember the picture vividly as I have seen it from one of my high school history textbooks.

From yesterday onwards, the week-long holiday (aka Golden Week) began. Yes, I will not be working until the next Monday. But please don’t envy me. In actual fact, we don’t have 7 days off. The official holidays only last for 3 days i.e. Monday to Wednesday, and we are supposed to get back to work on Thursday. But in order to have a week-long holiday, we will have to work on both Saturday and Sunday before the week-long holiday to replace the subsequent Thursday and Friday. In another words, last week I was working 7 days a week.

By the way, Bom and most of the Malaysian friends had gone home. Bom has some important issues in Malaysia waiting for him to deal with: his wedding. Bom, if you are reading this, have fun planning your wedding with Stella! This is the inevitable path which all responsible men must walk through. It is your turn now. Enjoy.

So how was my National Day holiday yesterday? During the first half of the day, I didn’t do much. I grabbed the opportunity to watch DVDs and some TV programs (basically performances and celebration of National Day). We didn’t go out for lunch, Engtee cooked fried rice (which was not too bad, if I have any complaint I would definitely end up eating outside foods everyday in China).

Around 5pm, we were ready to go out to have fun! Oh, I have forgotten to tell you, 1st of October is also my colleague’s birthday. He was born on the National Day so his name is 庆 (celebration). Earlier he had invited me and Engtee to his birthday party. I gladly accepted his invitation.

We had Peking Roast Duck for the birthday celebration. The restaurant was quiet far away. It was in 闵行区, some 40 minutes from our place.


The party did not end after the dinner, we continued with Karaoke near 徐家汇. The Karaoke was quite fun and entertaining. I usually don’t enjoy Karaoke very much though I love singing. To enjoy Karaoke fully, normally there must be someone who plays the role of a joker or entertainer. Back home in Malaysia, Harley fits in nicely. Here in China, my Australian colleague was the joker and entertainer.

He speaks fluent Mandarin. In fact, he got a Master in Chinese study. I hope those Malaysian leaders who still tirelessly plan to suppress Chinese education and make Chinese schools second choice for Chinese would shit in their pants after seeing how Angmos learned Mandarin and how Angmos have benefited from it.



My Australian friend is a fan of 周杰伦 and 信乐团. It was kind of funny singing 周杰伦’s 千里之外 with an Angmo. It was even funnier seeing him sang One Night in Beijing.

One Chinese friend made this comment when the Australian and I sang 洗刷刷 by 花儿乐团: 两个外国人在唱中国人的歌啊!

Well, Angmo have started singing 周杰伦; while the Chinese started to enjoy Linkin Park. This is definitely globalization in full action.


p/s:-

Choy Kee Blat, so after terrorizing the Rotaract Club of Port Klang Centennial’s BLOG, now you have turned to this blog. Anyway, welcome here and look forward to your future comments.

Bro Stevo, Borat is great, I have watched it.

Sister Shin, I am not sure yet when will I be back for the Chinese New Year. But will keep you posted. Happy to see you here too! Now except our youngest brother who has difficulty accessing internet, we have a virtual family reunion in this blog. Papa, I am still waiting for your first comment.

Mom, may be you have clicked something wrong or the line is bad. Sometimes your comment just disappears without any apparent reason.

瑞, are you the 瑞瑞 from Hin Hua? Thanks for leaving a comment here and hope to see you again.

Shindy and Alex, how’s life in Melbourne? Thanks for supporting this blog. Surely you are my No. 1 fan in Australia.



.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Harnniann and Eng Tee,
I've been doing some catching up on your blog since I have some free time now. Very interesting to read about your experiences. Show us more pics of the inside of your apartment k? ;)

2 October 2007 at 13:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in China same day 2 years ago for 2 weeks, that time it was a disaster when I was taking bua from Shenzhen back to GuangZhou, many people went to HK that time for newly opened Disneyland. Time flies..~

Harley

2 October 2007 at 18:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Life is good here. Of course, we are your no.1 fan here, so any token of appreciation? AHAHAH
Enjoy your hols, and bring ET to qi bu lu for shopping k? :)

2 October 2007 at 19:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,
I am still waiting for an entry about the nightlife in ShangHai, after all, its the Bu Ye Chen right?
I know you prefer the uncle lifestyle way over the nightscene, but yo, do it for me at least once.. and if your wife is stopping you from going, tell her its for blogging purposes and strong demand from his no.1 fan in North America

3 October 2007 at 00:42  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter