Thursday, October 18, 2007

An open letter to my former boss, Eric

Temperature: 19 c
Weather: Fair



Hi Eric!

I know you are a fan of this blog, so I have no doubt you will be reading this. I just hope that you are ok with my decision to publish my letter to you here. Like they always said, there should not be anything between 2 gentlemen which could not be exposed under the sunlight. If there is, both of us will be the invited to act in “Broke Back Mountain 2”.

I must say that I really appreciate your timely and thoughtful email which was sent to me on 19-9-2007. I use the adjective “timely” intentionally because it was sent to me at the time I needed it most: I was quite depressed and disillusioned during that period. It was the transitional period of my life, from one phase to another. I was losing strength to keep me going. I missed home.

Your email began with “Keep your chin up. Life is full of adventure and in my adventure, I am blessed to meet you along the way and walk with you before we move on to our different path”. How thoughtful!

I have printed out your email and stick it on my notice board. My Australian colleague read it the other day, and asked “Who is this Eric Yap?” I said he was my boss in Malaysia. He was impressed that a former boss would take the initiative and effort to drop words of encouragement to his former employee. “How many of us could receive emails like this from our former boss?” Truly, not many, and I am the lucky few.

Eric, I must apologize for not being my best while working with you. I know there was times which I could have done better or more. I should have involved in many other areas of the law, but I lazily and naively chose not to. But, somehow, you have tolerated my nonsense. You did give me hints from time to time, I was fully aware of that, but, I was a master in maneuvering my way out by ignoring your hints or hidden threats. Now I painfully realized I did all that at my own expense.

I know I will not meet another Eric in China or in Malaysia for that matter. No one will be stupid (or kind) enough to be nice to someone whom he pays to work. In the real world, the logic is simple: you are given this amount of money because we want you to generate many times more than that amount of money for us. You either deliver or crawl back to where you came from, because there are many people who are waiting in line to take your place.

Before I end this letter, I wish to thank you again for the guidance and advice (which are always practical and workable). I might have got cold feet to get married if not for your constant encouragement (for this part, I am still not so sure whether to blame you or to thank you, we shall see).

I will remember the lunches we had together with Chia, and the dirty conversation and fantasy. I will also remember our plan to do something naughty but exciting in KL (which has yet to be executed, so Dorothy please do not punish him for a crime he only desires to commit).

And to all the colleagues in Eric Yap & Associates: thanks for the wonderful memories.

Until we meet again, bye!

Yours truly,

Toh
Shanghai, autumn of 2007

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

How are you? You still remember me, rite?

Pls send my regards to your family members. Thanks.

19 October 2007 at 07:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toh,

Comment to your earlier posting on Chinese Idol, you need to know the difference between chasing your dream and living your dream. A lot of people are still chasing their dream in China, not realising that they can live their dream in Malaysia.

Eng Tee,

Dorothy sends her best wishes to you.

Regards,
Eric Yap

20 October 2007 at 13:41  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter