Tuesday, October 16, 2007

We are getting poorer by the day

Temperature: 16 c
Weather: Fair
I was browsing the net aimlessly until I found this letter written by a Malaysiakini reader.

Please click the link and read the letter if you have the time. The letter is very well written and covers almost every part of Malaysian lives which desperately feels the pain of “money not enough”. From the tone of the letter, you can feel the frustration, hopelessness, and disappointment of the author.

20 years ago, the starting pay of a young lawyer in Malaysia was RM1800. 20 years later, though the petrol cost is reaching RM 2 per litter and there are more tolls to pay, the salary of a fresh lawyer is still RM1800. What has happened? Have the country progressed? When the ringgit in your pocket is shrinking day by day, I find less evidence that the country will do well going forward.

A couple of months ago, I had little idea what Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is all about. Ironically, FDI is part of my portfolio now. I am expected to advise client on FDI. Which is why I find my current work challenging. I am going into the uncharted waters (as far as I am concerned). This is where the real global players are, the platform to see real actions, to learn how the game is played. Of course everyday, I am learning new things. I feel like a little kid again. I explore new adventures on a daily basis, picking up pieces of knowledge along the way.

During the course of my work, I noticed: people around the world are bringing moneys into China, to such an extent that China is now in a position to tell the foreign investors: if you want to come here, you have to play by my rules! If the proposed factory will cause environmental pollution, it is not welcome. If the proposed investment will not introduce advanced technology into China, it is not encouraged. Assisting these big fat thirsty foreign investors who could not wait to bite the ever increasing economic pie of China with setting up companies in China is the main bread and butter for the legal firms here. It is much more lucrative than completing a sale and purchase of house back home.

I wish I could blog more on China’s economy but my knowledge in this respect is rather shallow. Since when you saw me reading The Edge in Malaysia? Ok, time to buy Forbes magazine now.


.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Feldman said...

It is tough indeed to earn a living in Msia, but I guess that's the sacrifice of being wanting to live near to your loved ones. I guess that's the pros and cons anywhere we work.

17 October 2007 at 08:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nian, I want to drop you message at your Box. But I dunno how to read Chinese :P. which space is for my name and message? thanks

18 October 2007 at 06:11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter