Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Me and the recent fuel hike

Weather: Rain
Temperature: 26 c


Some of my friends were of the view that I was lucky to have escaped the impact of the recent fuel hike in Malaysia. According to them, I should not have complaint because I am not living in Malaysia now. While I could nearly smell the burnt in my Malaysian brethrens’ wallet and feel the pain inflicted upon them, with respect, I disagree with their view.

Yes, short term wise, I will not feel the immediate impact of the fuel hike. But, in the long run, I am also a victim of this unfortunate event. I am not an economist; therefore I will analyze things from a lay man’s perspective.

Say, one day, I bring back from China RM100; if a glass of teh tarik is sold at RM1 at that time, I would have the ability to buy 100 glasses of teh tarik. But now, with the fuel hike, I don’t think teh tarik will be sold at RM1 anymore. It may be increased to RM1.40 per glass (40% increase inline with the fuel hike). Now, my same RM100 could only buy me 71 glasses of teh tarik. In other words, when a glass of teh tarik is increased by merely 40 sen, my RM100 becomes 29 glasses of teh tarik less valuable.

I am talking about teh tarik only. What about rice, bread, electricity and other essential items which we could not live without? It means that I will have to work longer and save more in China before I am “allowed” to go back to Malaysia for retirement.

Talking about retirement, assuming I have enough money to retire, will I be able to retire peacefully?

Together with the price increase, crime rate is also expected to increase. I am going back for “retirement”, not for “excitement”. I don’t want to sleep at night with my mind wondering if a burglar is coming down from my roof. I don’t want to get worried every time my wife comes home 10 minutes late thinking that she might have been robbed, mugged, or even r*ped (touch wood touch wood!). My worries are not without basis. Since I started working in Klang, I have stayed in 2 places: one in Jalan Meru and the other in Kampung Jawa. Both these 2 places were broken in by burglars. So, my current record of house being broken in is 100%! And almost all my Malaysian friends can tell me at least one experience about car theft, burglary, snatch thief, robbery etc. Do you think I can call that a retirement?

Now you see my point? I am a victim of this fuel hike too.

Sorry, maybe I should make it clearer: I am a victim of this incompetent government too!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harnniann,
what I can say, when we're young, we chasing for a better life (monetary, hse, car...) thats why u r in China, but until we reach towards retirement age, we seek for Quality life (peaceful & safety...). So now, do you think Msia can provide you a quality life say 20 years down the road? I dont think so..

12 June 2008 at 16:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harley,

if what you said is true, then I have to seriously look for an alternative place for retirement. Any suggestion?

12 June 2008 at 17:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harnniann,
I dont knw you / your wife preferences..but for me is Aus or NZ (eventhough the opp is not much as China but you are seeking for a retirement plan). I believe u have a handful of friend staying in Aus, they may give u a better feedback. Temasik is to earn their currency (sorry for the truth).
Dont take my word but as u said its a suggestion. Im still learning ... :)

Harley

12 June 2008 at 19:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toh,

You may to check this out :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/105235/The-World's-Best-Places-to-Live-2008

13 June 2008 at 09:47  
Blogger harnniann said...

Thanks Anonymous for sharing the info.

But, I still think that the best place to live is my home in Kampung Jawa (minus the burglary of course) :)

16 June 2008 at 16:37  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter